The following is the figures of research activities in oil and gas industry for the year of 2013:
- Schlumberger receives the highest number of granted patents (Figure 1). Mostly in reservoir evaluation and engineering such as interpreting well test measurements and estimating fluid flow in a reservoir.
- Overall, mostly granted patent is in drilling and completion activities (29%, Figure 2).
- Chevron has the most active research activities among oil and gas producers (Figure 3).
- Research activities of oil and gas companies are mostly in petrochemicals such as continuous catalyst activator and olefin oligomer composition.
- Baker Hughes and Halliburton researches are mainly in drilling and completion such as modular hybrid drill bit and polysaccharide-based cement additives.
- The highest increase in 2013 granted patent is 102 granted patents received by Halliburton (Figure 3)